J.V. McHale and E.M. Speakman ”Charging ‘overseas visitors’ for NHS treatment, from Bevan to Windrush and beyond “(2020) Legal Studies online first
J.V. McHale, E.M. Speakman T.K. Hervey and M Flear “ Health law and policy, devolution and Brexit” (2020) Regional Studies online first https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/00343404.2020.1736538?journalCode=cres20
- UK in a Changing Europe, Brexit and the NHS Report, March 2018: T Hervey and S McCloskey, ‘Staff’ pp8-9; T Hervey, M Flear and S.McCloskey, ‘Patients’, pp10-11; J McHale and M Bevington, ‘Drugs and Medical Devices’, pp12-14; J McHale, ‘Public Health’, pp15-16; M Flear, K Hayward and T Hervey, ‘Health and the devolved regions and nations’, pp17-18. http://ukandeu.ac.uk/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/Brexit-and-the-NHS-.pdf
- M Flear, ‘Charting a roadmap towards membership and formal voice in global bioethics standard-setting: Health research and the case of the International Council on Harmonisation’, Special issue of Medical Law International, 15 October 2018 http://journals.sagepub.com/doi/full/10.1177/0968533218804598
- M Flear, K Hayward and T Hervey, ‘Brexit, health and Ireland’, Eolas Magazine, 31 May 2018 http://www.eolasmagazine.ie/brexit-health-and-ireland/) (forthcoming in AgendaNi magazine).
- M Flear, ‘Ensuring Post-Brexit UK is a ‘Maker’ Rather than a ‘Taker’ of Global Norms and Standards: the case of the International Council on Harmonisation’ in Flear M, Hervey T, McHale J (eds), ‘Health Law and the UK: where now after Brexit?’ healthyBrexit Working Paper https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=2992551).
- M Flear, ‘Brexit and Pharmaceuticals’ Regulation: optimising the UK’s post-Brexit influence in global standards-setting’ (2017) https://markflear.wordpress.com/2017/08/21/222/).
- M Flear, ‘Optimising the UK’s Post-Brexit Influence in Global Standards-Setting – Example II: Brexit and medical devices’ regulation’ (2017) https://markflear.wordpress.com/2017/10/25/optimising-the-uks-post-brexit-influence-in-global-standards-setting-example-ii-brexit-and-medical-devices-regulation/
- N Fahy, T Hervey, S Greer, H Jarman, D Stuckler, M Galsworthy, M McKee, ‘How will Brexit affect health services in the UK? An updated evaluation’, The Lancet, 25 February 2019 https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(19)30425-8/fulltext
- T Hervey, ‘Forty years in, forty years out’, European Futures, 28 December 2018 https://www.europeanfutures.ed.ac.uk/article-7491
- T Hervey, ‘Reciprocal healthcare arrangements after Brexit’, BMJ, 2018; 383:https://www.bmj.com/content/363/bmj.k4727.full
- T Hervey and E M Speakman, ‘The Immediate Futures of EU Health Law in the UK after Brexit’ in M Flear, T Hervey, J McHale (eds), ‘Health Law and the UK: where now after Brexit?’, Special issue of Medical Law International, 15 November 2018 https://doi.org/10.1177%2F0968533218810746
- S McCloskey and T Hervey, ‘What do the ‘no deal’ notices tell us about Brexit and health?’, EU Law Analysis blog, 17 September 2018: https://eulawanalysis.blogspot.com/2018/09/what-do-no-deal-notices-tell-us-about.html
- H Jarman, M McKee and T Hervey, ‘Health, transatlantic trade and President Trump’s populism: what American Patients First has to do with Brexit and the NHS’, The Lancet, 12 July 2018: https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(18)31492-2/fulltext?dgcid=raven_jbs_etoc_email
- H Jarman and T Hervey, ‘America first…NHS last for Donald Trump’ The New European, 6 July 2018: https://www.theneweuropean.co.uk/top-stories/america-first-nhs-last-for-donald-writes-holly-jarman-and-tamara-hervey-1-5594907
- T Hervey and S McCloskey, ‘Brexit and Health, Science and Society: Securing the “least worst” outcome’, Public Sector Focus, May/June 2018 (available at:http://flickread.com/edition/html/index.php?pdf=5b3294f2a91dc#54). [Previously appeared in blog series: ‘Brexit, Regulation and Society at ManReg on 30 April 2018: http://blog.policy.manchester.ac.uk/posts/2018/04/brexit-and-health-science-and-society/]
- T Hervey and S McCloskey, ‘Health and the NHS’. in UK in a Changing Europe Report Article 50 one year on, March 2018, pp 67-68. http://ukandeu.ac.uk/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/Article-50-one-year-on.pdf
- M McKee and T Hervey, 2018.Amending the EU Withdrawal Bill: a safeguard for health. The Lancet, 391 (10121), pp.638639 https://www.thelancet.com/pdfs/journals/lancet/PIIS0140-6736(18)30301-5.pdf
- T Hervey, ‘What Does the EU (Withdrawal) Bill Mean for Health Law?’ (2017) https://ablendedlifeblog.wordpress.com/2017/07/24/what-does-the-eu-withdrawal-bill-mean-for-health-law/).
- J Cayon-De Las Cuevas and T Hervey, 2017. A place in the sun? Healthcare rights of retired UK citizens in Spain post-Brexit. Health Economics, Policy and Law, 12(3), pp.297-307. https://doi.org/10.1017/S1744133117000147. Cayon_Hervey.pdf.
- N Fahy, T Hervey, S Greer, H Jarman, D Stuckler, M Galsworthy and M McKee, ‘How will Brexit affect Health and Health Services in the UK? Evaluating Three Possible Scenarios Against the WHO Health System Building Blocks’ (2017) The Lancet http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(17)31926-8.
- S McCloskey and T Hervey, ‘All of Life is Changed: the impact of Brexit on UK nationals living in other Member States’ (2017) http://eulawanalysis.blogspot.co.uk/2017/07/all-of-life-is-changed-impact-of-brexit.html). Shorter version published by The Conversation https://theconversation.com/whats-now-at-stake-for-uk-citizens-living-in-the-rest-of-the-eu-80562
- J McHale, EM Speakman, T Hervey and M Flear, ‘The NHS and Health Law Post Brexit: Views from Stakeholders and the Devolved Jurisdictions’ 80984 NHS and Health Law Post Brexit , cited by Preet Kaur Gill MP in House of Commons debate 14 January 2019 on the European Union (Withdrawal) Act [Hansard HC 14.01.19, vol 652, col 918: https://hansard.parliament.uk/Commons/2019-01-14/debates/5BFB8E71-8F0F-457B-AE2C-7B639181710D/EuropeanUnion(Withdrawal)Act
- J McHale, ‘Health Law, Brexit and Medical Devices: a question of legal regulation and patient safety’ in M Flear, T Hervey, J McHale (eds), ‘Health Law and the UK: where now after Brexit?’, Special issue of Medical Law International, 14 November 2018 https://doi.org/10.1177%2F0968533218807255
- J McHale, ‘The NHS at 70 and Brexit’ Blog for UK in a Changing Europe, 5 July 2018 http://ukandeu.ac.uk/the-nhs-at-70-and-brexit/
- J McHale, ‘Health Care and Brexit: a view from the Cliff Edge’ in A.Johnson and A.Vaught (eds) My Europe – An Anthology, Patrician Press (2018)
- J McHale, ‘Pharmaceuticals’, in UK in a Changing Europe Report Article 50 one year on, March 2018, pp 71-72. http://•http://ukandeu.ac.uk/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/Article-50-one-year-on.pdf
- J McHale, ‘Brexit and Health Care: a view from the cliff-edge’ (2017) http://ukandeu.ac.uk/brexit-and-health-care-a-view-from-the-cliff-edge/
- J McHale co-author, ‘UK in a Changing Europe Report: the manifestos uncovered: public services’ (2017) http://ukandeu.ac.uk/the-manifestos-uncovered-public-services/
- J McHale co-author, ‘UK in a Changing Europe Report: Cost of No Deal’ (2017) http://ukandeu.ac.uk/research-papers/cost-of-no-deal/).
- M Flear, ‘Diagnosing Brexit Impacts on Health’ event, Parliament Building, Stormont, Belfast, 13 September 2018
- M Flear, ‘EU Regulation of Medical Devices: Sociotechnical Order and Implications for Brexit’, Everyday Cyborgs Workshop, University of Newcastle, 8 December 2017.
- T Hervey, ‘New Trends in Health Systems & Patients’ Rights’, Specialised workshop at the International Autumn School on Health Law & Bioethics, Santander, Spain. 14-16 November 2018
- T Hervey, Roundtable panelist on ‘The legal position’, public event, Delivering Brexit: Progress, Challenges, Consequences, Department of Politics and Crick Centre, Sheffield, 18 May 2018. Sheffield Crick Centre Legal and policy aspects of Brexit for health May 2018
- T Hervey, ‘Evaluating the effects of possible post-Brexit futures on UK health law and policy’ Brexit Workshop, Department of Politics, University of Sheffield, 18 May 2018. ESRC Workshop presentation on reciprocal healthcare
- T Hervey, ‘Health and Rights: Reproductive Health’, Roundtable panellist, Kings Transnational Law Summit, London 10-13 April 2018.
- T Hervey, ‘The Impact of Brexit on fundamental rights: the case of healthcare’, staff and PhD student seminar, University of Trento, Italy, 28 March 2018 Oxford Legal and policy aspects of Brexit for health Trento March 2018
- T Hervey, ‘Legal and Policy Aspects of Brexit for health’, Brexit Symposium, University of Oxford, Faculty of Law and Monckton Chambers, Oxford 23 February 2018. Oxford Legal and policy aspects of Brexit for health Feb 2018
- T Hervey, ‘The legal position on Brexit’, Consulegis Annual Workshop, Sheffield 9 February 2018. Consilegus talk 9 February 2018
- T Hervey, ‘Overview: what does Brexit mean for health and health law’ for ESRC Brexit Priority Grant ES/R002053/1 workshop, Brussels, 20 October 2017 (attended by c 20 delegates from a range of stakeholders). Brussels workshop 20 October 2017
- T Hervey, ‘Legal Aspects of Brexit and Implications for Healthcare’, for Brexit: an opportunity for UK healthcare, Royal Society of Medicine, London, 28 September 2017. Hervey RSM 28 Sept 2017
- T Hervey, ‘Setting the Scene: what does Brexit mean for patients?’ and ‘Accessing Healthcare Here and Abroad: how will Brexit affect the treatment of visitors from the EU and vice versa’, BMA Conference ‘Brexit Means….What for Patients?’, London, 19 September 2017 (attended by c 75 delegates from the BMA and other health sector organisations). BMA Patient Liaison Group Symposium Access to health care 19 Sept 2017; BMA Patient Liaison Group Symposium on Brexit 19 Sept 2017
- T Hervey, Plenary speaker on ‘Brexit’ for Health Services Research UK Annual Symposium, Nottingham, 6 July 2017 (attended by c 250 leading researchers together with senior managers, decision-makers and service users from a broad range of NHS and social care bodies, central and local government, industry and the third sector). HSR Nottingham Brexit 6 July 2017
- T Hervey, Roundtable panelist on barriers to justice for EU nationals, ESRC project workshop ‘EU Rights Project: testing the theory of EU citizenship and the limits of equal treatment’, York, 22 and 23 June 2017 (attended by c 50 lawyers, advice workers, tribunal judges and academics working on EU citizens’ rights).
- T Hervey, ‘Research, Science, Technology and Health after Brexit’ for MANREG conference on Brexit, Regulation and Society, Manchester, 13 June 2017. MANREG Brexit Regulation and Society June 2017
- T Hervey, ‘The Law, the Great Repeal Bill, Health and Brexit’, Society for Social Medicine conference ‘Health and Brexit’, Wellcome Trust, London, 18 May 2017. Society for Social Medicine May 2017
- J McHale and EM Speakman, ‘Public Health, Law and the Devolveds: The Brexit Effect(s)’, for Socio-Legal Studies Association Conference, Leeds, 4 April 2019.
- J McHale, ‘The EU, Brexit and traditional herbal medicines: Freedom to practice or the end of legitimacy?’, invited presentation at event Negotiating the Boundaries of Legitimate Healthcare, at University of Kent, Canterbury, 8 November 2018
- J McHale, ‘Brexit, what does it mean for medicine in Northern Ireland?’, keynote address at Annual Clinical Education Day, Queen’s University Medical School and the Northern Ireland Medical and Dental Training Agency, Belfast, 25 October 2018
- J McHale, ‘The NHS, Brexit and UK Law: Immediate, Intermediate and Long-Term Impacts’, invited presentation at the conference The NHS at 70, University of Liverpool, 29 June 2018
- J McHale (with Professor Robert Lee), ‘Brexit, NHS and Health Law’, invited presentation to the Institute of Translational Medicine, University of Birmingham, 19 June 2018
- J McHale, ‘Brexit, NHS and Social Care’, invited presentation to the Conference of Postgraduate Medical Deans, University of Bristol, 7 June 2018
- J McHale, Brexit, Medical Devices and the Government’s Elusive Impact Case Study’, Everyday Cyborgs Workshop, University of Newcastle, 8 December 2017.
- J McHale, ‘The Impact of Brexit on the Regulation of Pharmaceuticals and Clinical Trials’, ‘Brexit the Road Ahead’ Seminar, for ESRC Social Science Festival, Birmingham Repertory Theatre, Birmingham, November 2017 (attended by c800 people).
- J McHale, ‘Health Law Outside the EU: Immediate, Intermediate and Long-Term Impacts’ at POST (Parliamentary Office for Science and Technology) event on ESRC Brexit research for policy, Portcullis House, Westminster, 30 October 2017.
- J McHale, ‘Clinical Trials for Medicinal Products and the Regulation of Medicines: Brexit an uncertain future’, for BMA Conference ‘Brexit Means….What for Patients?’, London, 19 September 2017 (attended by c 75 delegates from the BMA and other health sector organisations).
Media and Public Engagement
J.McHale interviewed on BBC Radio Northern Ireland for their lunchtime Talk Back programme on 4th December https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m0001dym
J.McHale and E.Speakman Presentation on the impacts of Brexit for Scotland at the Scottish Parliament in February 2019 was issued by the Parliament as a podcast
Also in that section
After the entry
J McHale, Oral evidence given to the House of Lords EU Home Affairs and Health Subcommittee, Inquiry on Brexit and Reciprocal Healthcare, 11 October 2017, followed by subsequent written evidence, both of which were extensively cited in the Report.
Please include an additional link to the Report
House of Lords European Union Committee, 13th Report of Session 2017–19 Brexit: reciprocal healthcare HL Paper 107
- M Flear, Oral Evidence on implications of Brexit for clinical research to Health and Sport Committee, Scottish Parliament, 13 March 2018.
- M Flear and T Hervey, cited in national press: eolas magazine: Brexit, health and Ireland, 31 May 2018 http://www.eolasmagazine.ie/brexit-health-and-ireland/
- T Hervey, invited to ‘Academic Roundtable’ on EU Exit and Devolution by The Cabinet Office Constitution Group, 16 January 2018.
- T Hervey, Specialist Adviser, House of Lords EU Home Affairs Sub-Committee, Inquiry into Brexit and Reciprocal Healthcare, August 2017-March 2018.
- T Hervey, Working with Mark Dayan, Nuffield Trust, writing briefing on possible future regulatory options for the UK’s permanent relationship with the EU as it affects health and social care, August 2017-October 2017 (available here). Invited to Nuffield Trust ‘breakfast seminars’ on 26 January and 17 October 2017.
- T Hervey, Adviser, Faculty of Public Health, Brexit strategy, August 2017-. Working closely with Mark Weiss, Senior Policy Officer. Significant input into the development and focus of the strategy, including its ‘Brexit must do no harm’ to public health principle. Not yet published.
- T Hervey, Reappointed Specialist Adviser to the House of Commons Health Committee, October 2017. Inquiry began December 2017, ongoing.
- T Hervey, Invited to ‘The European Union (Withdrawal) Bill 2017: Legal and Policy Analysis’ closed workshop, attended by members of Scottish, Welsh and Northern Irish civil service, House of Commons staff, and other stakeholders, Liverpool Law School, 29 September 2017.
- T Hervey, Podcast for UK in EU ESRC project BrExpats (PI Michaela Benson, Goldsmiths), July 2017 (available at: http://brexitbritsabroad.libsyn.com/ep005-the-legal-position-of-british-nationals-resident-in-the-eu27).
- T Hervey, cited in national press e.g.
- The Independent, 3 May 2017 (available at: http://www.independent.co.uk/news/health/brexit-latest-news-repeal-law-public-health-threat-warning-fundamental-right-eu-charter-uk-law-white-a7714081.html);
- Daily Mail, 21 July 2017.
- J McHale, Broadcast on 38 degrees Facebook Live session on Brexit and the NHS, 4 December 2018: https://www.facebook.com/peoplepowerchange/videos/brexit-qa-live-our-nhs/333772674020300/
- J McHale, Presentation to MSPs and Parliamentary officials on Brexit and Health and Social Care in Scotland, the Scottish Parliament, Edinburgh, 7 February 2018.
- J McHale, Invited to attend a closed workshop organised on behalf of the ‘ESRC UK in a Changing Europe’ project, with the Scottish Government’s Directorate for Strategy and Constitution, 13 December 2017.
- J McHale, Oral Evidence given to the House of Commons Health Select Committee on impact of Brexit on blood, organ and tissue safety, 5 December 2017.
- J McHale, Oral evidence given to the House of Lords EU Home Affairs and Health Subcommittee, Inquiry on Brexit and Reciprocal Healthcare, 11 October 2017, followed by subsequent written evidence, both of which were extensively cited in the Report.
- J.McHale, cited in the national press e.g.
- The Express, 29 September 2018 https://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/1024352/no-deal-brexit-explained-what-does-no-deal-brexit-mean-for-nhs
- Chemistry World, 13 September 2018 https://www.chemistryworld.com/news/no-deal-brexit-would-leave-uk-science-staring-down-a-barrel/3009499.article
- The Guardian, 7 August 2018 https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/aug/07/eu-patients-may-miss-out-on-medicines-in-no-deal-brexit-says-astrazeneca?CMP=share_btn_tw
- The Independent, 30 May 2017 http://www.independent.co.uk/news/health/nhs-brexit-care-retired-expats-double-1bn-billion-500m-nuffield-trust-a7763851.html
- The Guardian, 28 April 2017 https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/apr/28/brexit-european-health-insurance-card-ehic-healthcare-europe-uk